It was built at the turn of the century. The Parliament quickly became a dominant sight and symbol of Budapest and the Danube panorama. A typically Eclectic edifice with a lot of small spikes and stone lace ornamentation, it is one of the most decorative structures of the capital. It also ranks as one of the biggest national assemblies in the world. The rich interior and gorgeous decoration of the Parliament building are well worth seeing as part of a guided tour.
The first permanent bridge over the Danube. Budapest owes its construction to Count István Széchenyi. Architect William Clark and namesake Adam Clark supervised construction works; the bridge was finally completed in 1849. It has since rightly become a symbol of Budapest, a magnificent sight when illuminated at night.
The museum is one of the finest examples of Hungarian Classicism. Hungarian history is presented from the foundation of the state up until 1990. Stonework remains from the Roman period, the Middle Ages and from early modern times. The museum played a key role in the 1848-49 revolution and as such it became one of its symbols; for this reason the National Museum is to this day one of the focal points of celebrations marking the national holiday of March 15.
The world's second largest and Europe's largest synagogue, with seating for 3000 people. It was built in the middle of the 19th century in Romantic style for the around 30,000 Jewish community of Pest mainly living in this part of the town.
Buda Castle It functions as home to important cultural institutions and museums: Hungarian National Gallery, the National Széchényi Library, the Museum of Contemporary Art, and the Budapest History Museum. Matthias Church The church wears the name of King Matthias. Every king left its mark on the building until the Turks occupied Buda in 1541 and converted the temple into a mosque, whitewashing - and thus preserving - its medieval frescos. In addition to the usual biblical scenes, its frescos tell of the most important events in Hungary's history. From Hotel Burg visitors can enjoy the panorama of the church. Fisher Bastion Completed in 1905 on the site of a former fish market - this is where the name comes from. It is an excellent lookout place. The floodlit row of bastions offer a panoramic view onto the other bank of the Danube. The cityscape opening up from there, including the Fishermen's Bastion, has been part of UNESCO's World Heritage since 1988. Funicular It was opened in 1870, offers an authentic-style carriages travel between the stations. The journey takes a couple of minutes. At the lower terminus, at the foot of Chain Bridge, stands the 0 kilometre stone, from which all distances are measured in Hungary.
Gellert Thermal Bath Architectural folly in late Art Nouveau style, covered pool, with bubbles, hot spring baths, sun terraces, wave bath and medicinal treatments all on offer. Szechenyi Thermal Bath Convivial, well-appointed bathing establishment with a small restaurant. Neo-Baroque architectural surroundings.
It was originally built of timber and cardboard for the World Exhibition organized in 1896 to mark the thousandth anniversary of the arrival of the Magyars in the Carpathian Basin. Its aim was to give the visitor an insight into Hungary's architectural past. The castle is a true representation of a thousand years of Hungarian architecture in one single monument. Today Vajdahunyad Castle is the home of the Hungarian Agricultural Museum. Reproduction of Jaki Church It can be found in Vajdahunyad Castle together with other reproductions of different historical buildings of Hungary.
Budapest's grandest square closes off Andrássy út, with City Park right behind. Each part of the monument represents an important section of Hungarian history. In the focus of the semicircular colonnade stands the bronze statue of Archangel Gabriel on a 36-meter-high column, which was awarded a Grand Prix at the Paris World Exposition in 1900. According to an old Hungarian legend, the angel appeared in the dreams of first Hungarian king Saint Stephen and gave him the holy crown. The equestrian statues of the seven legendary chieftains who lead migrating Hungarians to the Carpathian Basin stand on the pedestal of the obelisk. The two circular peristyles present statues of famous kings, emperors and personalities of Hungarian history.
It is one of the most beautiful opera houses in the world. The opening performance of the Opera House was held in 1884 after nine years of construction. The staircase and the auditorium of the palace, designed by one of the best architects of those days Miklós Ybl, are decorated with frescos of eminent Hungarian painters such as Bertalan Székely, Mór Thán and Károly Lotz. The first director was Ferenc Erkel, Gustav Mahler held this post for several years, and Puccini directed the premiere of two of his operas here. It is still one of the best opera houses in Europe.
The Academy of Music is located next to Andrássy út and Oktogon. It was founded in 1875, its first managing director was the world famous composer Ferenc Erkel. The Academy today not only trains musicians to the highest standard, but it also functions as the centre of concert life in Budapest. The Art Nouveau edifice seen today was completed in 1907 featuring the richest interior decoration ever built in this style in the capital. Its large hall offers excellent acoustics for an audience of 1200; there is also a smaller concert hall with 400 seats. Even if you are not a big fan of classical music, it is worth buying a concert ticket just to admire the beautiful interior of these concert halls.
Perhaps the most beautiful cultural centre of Hungary, the renovated Vigadó has a number of facilities. The imposing concert hall, which can accommodate up to 700 people, is to this day one of the most significant venues of music life in Budapest. The chamber hall (220 seats) hosts drama performances, chamber concerts and various other cultural events.
Gigantic monuments from the Communist dictatorship - A last glimpse behing the Iron curtain
Removed statues of Lenin, Marx and Engels and the other communist heroes, soldiers of the Soviet army, Revolutionists. The most exciting open air museum in eastern Europe after the fall of the communist dictatorship.
Open every day from 10 am till Sunset. Direct bus service from the downtown to the Statue park every day at 11 am (the Bus leaves from Deak Square).