What is Bhai Phota in Bengali?
Bhai Phota falls in Shukla Paksha of Kartik Month of Bengali Calendar. Bhai Phota is known as Bhai Dooj in rest of India except Bengal. Literally Bhai means brother and Phota means ‘a mark’ in Bengali Language. The name of the festival has its origin in the rituals of this festival.
What does Bhai Dooj mean?
Bhai Dooj or Bhaiya Dooj is a Hindu festival celebrating the unconditional love bond between a brother and a sister. Bhai Dooj defines the eternal love between siblings, dedicated to strengthening the bond between them.
How is Bhai Phonta celebrated?
The festival is celebrated on the third day of the Tyohar festival. The occasion is celebrated with the special prayer to Yamraj by sisters for the well-being and longevity of their brothers. A seven coloured long Tika is also applied on the forehead of brothers by sisters.
How is Bhai Phota celebrated in Bengali?
The festival is centered on rituals where brothers and sisters honour each other. Brothers on the other hand promise to protect his sister and give them beautiful gifts. Food plays an important role in the festival as sisters prepare wide array of dishes for their brothers on this day.
Is Bhai Dooj for Bhabhi also?
Difference between Bhai Dooj and Raksha Bandhan: – Raksha Bandhan can be performed between sisters, only brothers, and friends as well but the festival of Bhai Dooj is only for the brother-sister.
What should I gift my sister on Bhai Dooj?
Bhai Dooj Gifts for Sister
- Jewellery & Watches : 58 Products | View All.
- Handbags & Clutches : 24 Products | View All.
- Home & Living : 97 Products | View All.
- Chocolates & Flowers for Bhaidooj : 21 Products | View All.
- Apparels : 62 Products | View All.
What is difference between Bhaubeej and Raksha Bandhan?
– The first difference is that Raksha Bandhan is celebrated in August, while Bhai Dooj is observed in October or November two days after Diwali. – Aarti and tika play a major part in Bhai Dooj, whereas on Raksha Bandhan the sisters tie a sacred thread on the wrist of brothers.