How can flexible working benefit employers?
Flexible working benefits employers because the workforce is more motivated. Flexible working means employees can organise their work life balance more effectively and make more use of their free time. This is similar to the benefits of encouraging your staff to take their full holiday entitlement.
Who is entitled to flexible working hours?
By law, you have the right to make a flexible working request if: you’ve worked for your employer for at least 26 weeks. you’re legally classed as an employee. you’ve not made any other flexible working request in the last 12 months.
How do you negotiate a work schedule?
How to Negotiate Flexible Work Hours
- Check in with yourself and contemplate your needs.
- Write out a plan that answers any anticipated questions from your boss.
- Schedule a meeting with your boss to talk about your proposal in person.
- Suggest a trial period for your schedule.
- Graciously navigate conversations with coworkers.
Is working from home flexible working?
Flexible working is a way of working that suits an employee’s needs, for example having flexible start and finish times, or working from home. All employees have the legal right to request flexible working – not just parents and carers. This is known as ‘making a statutory application’.
How do you create a successful flexible working request?
Making a successful flexible working request
- Be in writing and clearly state that it is a flexible working application.
- Be dated.
- State whether you have previously made a FW application and if so, when.
- Explain the change you’re asking for and when you want the change to take effect.
Do you have to give a reason for flexible working?
There is no statutory requirement for an employee to provide a reason when making a statutory request for flexible working.
How do you ask someone to work 4 days a week?
How to Pitch a 4-Day Workweek to Your Boss
- Think about who else the change would affect.
- Make your pitch clear, detailed, and empathetic.
- Decide if you’re comfortable taking a pay cut.
- Make the transition as smooth as possible.
- Set boundaries and avoid the temptation to work.
- Make the most of your day off.
How do you ask for change of working hours?
- Be in writing.
- Be dated.
- Explain the change they would like to their working pattern.
- Explain when they would like the change to come into force.
- Explain what effect the change would have on the business.
- Explain how such effects might be dealt with.
- State that it is a statutory request.
Can my employer refuse my flexible working request?
There are only limited reasons why your employer can refuse your statutory flexible working request. However, your employer is not allowed to discriminate against you when making a decision. You can check if refusing your flexible working request is discrimination.