How do I get a wildcard certificate DigiCert?
How to buy:
- Select a certificate: Secure Site Pro, Secure Site or DigiCert Basic.
- Choose your coverage length.
- Wildcard: Enter any Subject Alternative Names (SANs) you want secured*
- Checkout. *Price is based on number of SANs entered. The more you add, the more you save.
How much is a DigiCert wildcard certificate?
DigiCert Wildcard SSL Certificate at $560.00/yr – The SSL Store™
Why you should not use wildcard certificates?
But perhaps the most pressing reason to avoid wildcards is that without proper security, control, and monitoring, wildcard certificates can be misused by cybercriminals to exploit the trust organizations have in them. In that sense, wildcard certificates are simply less secure and can open the door to phishing attacks.
What are wildcard certificates used for?
A wildcard certificate is a digital certificate that is applied to a domain and all its subdomains. Wildcard notation consists of an asterisk and a period before the domain name. Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificates often use wildcards to extend SSL encryption to subdomains.
How do I get a wildcard certificate?
- Go to the Wildcard SSL product page.
- Click the buy button.
- Select duration and add to cart.
- Finish shopping and check out.
- Log in [if you already have an SSL.com account].
- Create an SSL.com account [if you don’t have one already].
- Apply funds to cover payment.
- Click link to finish processing.
How do I get a wild card certificate?
Steps to Generate a CSR for a Wildcard Certificate
- In webserver, go to the terminal client.
- Type: openssl req –new –newkey rsa:2048 –nodes –keyout server.key –out server.csr.
- Enter the name of the domain along with the asterisk, as explained above.
- Enter all the required details of your company.
Are wildcard certificates safe?
Wildcard certificates are used to cover all listed domains with the same private key making it easier to manage. Despite the benefits, the use of wildcard certificates creates significant security risks since the same private key is used across dispersed systems, increasing the risk of an organization-wide compromise.
Are wildcard certificates deprecated?
CN validation was deprecated for a long time and is finally being phased out; wildcard certificates are also deprecated (RFC 6125) and they too may eventually be phased out.
Does a wildcard cover WWW?
If you have a multi-domain certificate, you can add an additional SAN so both are covered. Or, you could purchase a Wildcard certificate, which will protect all sub-domains (even WWW), and install that on your server.
How do I know if I have a wildcard certificate?
the ssl certificate is tied into a domain name – so simply inspect the certificate and if the domain listed is *. domain.com then it is a wildcard – if the domain is domain.com then it is specific to that domain.
How much is a wildcard certificate?
Wildcard SSL Certificate Price Comparison
|Positive SSL Wildcard||Enterprise SSL Pro Wildcard|
|Issuance||10 Minutes||1-2 Days|