Where do you put a list of tables and figures in thesis?
Lists of Tables, Figures, and Illustrations
- Include the heading(s) in all capital letters, centered 1″ below the top of the page.
- Include one double-spaced line between the heading and the first entry.
- Each entry must include a number, title, and page number.
What is list of tables in Project report?
A List of Tables is a reference tool that allows your readers to quickly and easily navigate to data in your thesis or dissertation. Construction of the list is similar to creating a Table of Contents.
How do I add page numbers after table of contents?
Put the cursor after the text on the page that should be the last one without a page number, for example the table of contents. Click on the Layout tab. Select Breaks → Sections Breaks → Next Page. Put the cursor on the page where the page numbering should start (that is section two in the document).
How do I add a list of figures in a table of contents?
To create a combined list of tables and figures
- After the table of contents, click where you want to insert the list.
- In the Insert menu, pull down to Index and Tables.
- Click Table of Figures.
- Check Include label and number, Show page numbers, Right align page numbers.
- Click Options.
- Click OK.
- Click OK.
How do you insert a table of contents?
Create the table of contents
- Click where you want to insert the table of contents – usually near the beginning of a document.
- Click References > Table of Contents and then choose an Automatic Table of Contents style from the list.
What does list of figures mean?
The list of figures identifies the titles and locations of visuals (figures, drawings, photos, maps) in administrative or research documents. Articles in periodicals do not use lists of figures. Figures concentrate information in unusual ways and show critical details, configurations, and evidence.
Which comes first list of tables or list of figures?
If even one numbered table or figure appears in your manuscript, then a List of Tables and/or a List of Figures must be included in your manuscript following the Table of Contents. If both are used, arrange the List of Tables before the List of Figures.
How do I update table of contents in Word 2010?
Update a table of contents
- Click anywhere in the table of contents.
- Press F9 or the Update Table button in the content control (or on the REFERENCES tab)
- Use the Update Table of Contents dialog box to choose what to update.
- Click OK.
How do you list tables and figures in APA?
APA table format
- Table number in bold above the table.
- Brief title, in italics and title case, below the table number.
- No vertical lines.
- Horizontal lines only where necessary for clarity.
- Clear, concise labels for column and row headings.
- Numbers consistently formatted (e.g. with the same number of decimal places).
How do you modify a table of contents in Word?
Format the text in your table of contents
- Go to References > Table of Contents > Custom Table of Contents.
- Select Modify.
- In the Styles list, click the level that you want to change and then click Modify.
- In the Modify Style pane, make your changes.
- Select OK to save changes.
How do I add a sub heading to a table of contents?
- To create a subheading in your table of contents, create the subheading in your document. Highlight it and click Heading 2 at the top of your screen.
- It will be added to your table of contents, nested underneath the appropriate chapter heading.
What is the purpose of wrap text option?
In Microsoft Excel and other spreadsheet programs, Wrap Text is a feature that shows all information in a cell, even if it overflows the cell boundary. For example, the image shows that cell G2 has text that is cut off because the adjacent cell H2 has text.
Where do you label tables and figures?
Labeling Tables and Figures Tables and figures must all be labeled with numbered captions that clearly identify and describe them. Figure captions are generally placed below the figures, while table captions must be placed above the tables.
How do I make a table of contents clickable in Word?
Add the link
- Select the text or object you want to use as a hyperlink.
- Right-click and then click Hyperlink .
- Under Link to, click Place in This Document.
- In the list, select the heading or bookmark that you want to link to.
Why is my table of contents not picking up headings?
The problem is that only if the entire paragraph is formatted as a heading will it be included in the TOC. (To update the TOC, right-click on it and choose Update Field.) If headings in tables are still not showing up in your TOC, then it is possible that your document is exhibiting an early sign of corruption.
How do I make a table of contents clickable?
Now place the cursor at the position you want to insert the table of linkable contents, click References > Table of Contents > Custom Table of Contents. 3. In the Table of Contents dialog, keep Show page numbers, Right align page numbers and Use hyperlinks instead of page numbers options checked, click Options.
What is text wrapping and anchoring?
Text wrapping is a feature that enables you to surround a picture or diagram with a text. 2. Anchoring is the use of irrelevant information, such as the purchase price of a security, as a reference for evaluating an unknown value of a financial instrument.
Where do figures go in a dissertation?
Need to Know:
- Figures must appear in the text as near as possible to the discussion relating to them.
- DO NOT insert a table in the middle of a sentence.
- Figures must be numbered consecutively using Arabic numbers throughout the thesis, as should tables, examples, and illustrations.
How do you present a table in a report?
Tables should be:
- Centered on the page.
- Numbered in the order they appear in the text.
- Referenced in the order they appear in the text.
- Labeled with the table number and descriptive title above the table.
- Labeled with column and/or row labels that describe the data, including units of measurement.
Where do you put table of figures?
If you are submitting a manuscript to a journal using APA style, then you typically put tables and figures at the end of the manuscript. If you are using APA style to guide your thesis, then tables and figures will almost always go in the body where they are presented in text.
How do you make a dotted line in a table of contents in Word?
Change the layout of your table of contents
- To add a dot leader, or dotted line, between each entry and its page number, click the Tab leader list and then click the dotted line.
- To change the overall appearance of your table of contents, click the Formats list, and then click the format that you want.
Do I need a list of figures?
You should definitely ask your advisor but normally you only need a list of tables or a list of figures if there will be more than 5 items in the list. For three or four items, I would not include a list.
Where should all figures go?
The List of illustrations will come after the Contents page (on a separate page) and before the Introduction. This page should list the name of each figure of illustration that is included in the body of your dissertation or thesis and then give the number of the page that it appears on.
What is the first step you would take to create a table of authorities?
Answer: To create a Table of Authorities, you first enter each citation within the body of the document. Then you mark each one as a citation via Word’s Mark Citation feature. Finally, you assemble the Table of Authorities, compiling all the marked citations.
What does a table of figures look like?
A table of figures is a list, sorted by page number, of the captions pulled from figures, images, or tables in your document. It’s like a table of contents, but it’s a table of anything to which you can add a caption.
What is the difference between list of tables and list of figures?
Tables are text or numbers in the form of columns whereas figures are illustrations of different kinds like a pie chart, a drawing, a photograph, any graphic which represents the data in a graphic form. Tables are labeled at the top of the illustration whereas figures are labeled below the illustration.
Which comes first list of figures or list of tables?
How do you format a table of figures?
Create or change a table of figures
- Click in your document where you want to insert the table of figures.
- On the Insert menu, click Index and Tables, and then click the Table of Figures tab.
- Click Options, and then select the Style check box.
- On the Style pop-up menu, click the style name that is used for the figure captions, and then click OK.
What is a table of figures in a report?
In addition to the Table of Contents, a Table of Figures and Tables is usually required in a report. It is situated immediately after the Table of Contents. It contains a list of figures, statistical tables, diagrams and graphs, including their titles.
How do I make a list of tables?
- Click on the Reference tab.
- Click on Insert Table of Figures in the Captions section.
- Under General, make sure that Caption label is set to Table.
- Also make sure that Include label and number is unchecked.
- Click on Options.
- Check the Style box, and select Table title in the dropdown box.
- Click OK.
- Click on Modify.
Should list of figures be in table of contents?
The list of figures and list of tables, if used, are included (see the Table of Contents in this handbook for a sample using numbered chapters; see Figures 2.6, 2.7, and 2.8 for additional options). All chapters or titled sections and all first-level subheadings of the manuscript are listed in the table of contents.
What is list of figures in Project report?
Readers use the list of figures to quickly find the illustrations, diagrams, tables, and charts in your report. Complications arise when you have both tables and figures. Strictly speaking, figures are illustrations, drawings, photographs, graphs, and charts.
What is a list of tables and figures?
A List of Figures and/or a List of Tables will show all of the graphics, equations, and tables in a document. However, for an element to be recognized, it must have a caption.
How do I line up the dots in a table of contents?
Place your cursor between a chapter name and the page number in your table of contents. Press the “Tab” button, and the dots are auto-generated for you. Repeat these steps for each chapter in your table of contents.
Where do you put Acknowledgements in a report?
Acknowledgment sections are always present in both papers and academic theses. For papers, the Acknowledgments section is usually presented at the back, whereas in a thesis, this section is located towards the front of the manuscript and is commonly placed somewhere between the abstract and introduction.